Saturday, May 30, 2015

End Of A School Year, Beginning Of My Journey

Last day of School!!  The kids were so excited to finish the year and begin the summer of chillin'!  It also meant I need to get ready for my triathlon adventure.  Right when school got out, I took off for southern Utah.  Hurricane, Utah for the Sand Hollow Triathlon.  Tarin wanted to join me in my journey.  Luckily, my brother Tony wanted to participate in the Duathlon in that event, so I had someone else to share it with.  I love my brother.  He's amazing, because although he's been an avid athlete in the past, he wasn't really in shape to do this.  I was glad he chose to "get back on that horse" for me.  It was nice to share the experience...and someone to take pictures of me for a change...its my only evidence for me to shine.  Thank you Tony for driving all that way to do this.

Before actually leaving town, we stopped by to say good bye to Trent at work, and he had gotten me a "swag bag" of goodies.  It was really cool.  Wish I had gotten a picture of it.  Full of awesome stuff.  Thank you Trent!

Road tripping with my girl



Met up with Tony and drove around the coarse


It was so pretty out by the reservoir.

Went to Saint George, a few miles away, and hit the Mongolian BBQ with Tony and Tarin.  Love that stuff!

Next morning, it was time to get ready.  Marker on the arm and leg.  Bib number was 328 and on my leg it said S for Sprint and my age.  Transition area was ready!

Now, there is something to understand.  I had never worn a wet suit in my life!  This was a whole new experience for me.  This was tight and constricting, but it was "recommended" at this lake.  So I did it.  Later, I found out in the water, I panicked.  This was very difficult for me and I freaked.  I grew up in the water and had much swim team experience, I'd like to classify myself as a proficient swimmer for sure.  Let's just say, NOW,  I know what it feels like to 'drown' or be in the act of drowning, or what goes through ones head when drowning.  I seriously freaked out!  It was the difference in buoyancy and how it constricted me all the way up to my neck that scared me.  The swim wasn't very good.  I swam on my back and unzipped and did all I could to make it through.  I wasn't going to give up...but I was close.  I didn't want all that work to go to waste...I was determined to finish!



Ready, Get Set...

Go Tony!  All set to go!  His event was a bit after mine, so he was able to catch me before I took off.  I'm so excited. 

Despite some personal set backs, I did complete the race.  It was a great day and an event to remember.  Thank you again Tony for all of your support!  Tarin stayed in the hotel, but she had a great time too.

I noticed they had a kid triathlon, and I was so impressed I hope to get my own kids involved.

My time print out, and my participation medal.
With the event over, and we came from separate directions, we all decided to head home.  Tony had a long drive back to Mesa and well...may as well get home too.  It was only about 4 hours away, so we were back by 4pm or so.  The neighbors had an end of the school year bash going on, so Tarin was glad to make that with the rest of the family.  A great day. :o)


No comments: