Sunday, August 30, 2009

Alabama Birmingham Temple

For the next two years or so, our Atlanta temple will be closed for renovations. So we have two other options, South Carolina or Alabama. Our ward decided to have a temple trip yesterday to the Alabama Birmingham Temple. It is just over two hours of a drive, but when carpooling is replacing children, time goes by quickly...


Although this was a temple on a very small scale, none of the grandeur was sacrificed. Marbled walls, stained glass windows, manicured lawns and grounds, and just glorious all around. Wish I could have taken a picture of the chandelier in the Celestial Room...wow, gorgeous!


As soon as I could, I jumped out of the truck with camera in hand! The architecture and detail were spectacular! Angel Moroni was standing triumphantly announcing to the world that we were on sacred grounds!






I would have never guessed that this temple was already 9 years old! It felt very new and pristine!



Beautiful windows! I think this one is the side of the Celestial Room.


An older gentlemen, Bro. Morris, was going through for his first time! What a grand experience to witness someone making such a huge step in life; making eternal covenants. He is in his 80's and new to the church. He hopes to be sealed to his wife in the near future. Such a humbling day.
The drive over to the temple was very foggy, so I couldn't see it much before. But off in the distance on the way home (I didn't get a very good picture, so I settled for the flags) you could see the Talladega Race Track. I never have or never will be a Nascar fan, nor will I ever understand the hype of the "sport" but it is still kind of exhilarating to have such history and landmarks in my backyard.


On the way home we also stopped for lunch at the one and only Olive Garden. I strongly suggest carpooling with another couple, they just might treat you to lunch for giving them a ride. Thank you Rineers. A great day at the temple, and good company with the Cotrells and Rineers at lunch makes for a great break from regular everyday life.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Great pics. I'm looking forward to attending it soon. And already awaiting Atlanta's reopening!