Saturday, September 15, 2012

Hiking Mtn Timpanogos

Last day that my sister was here to visit we wanted to tackle this hike.  Several years ago I came out from Georgia to attend Education week with my sisters and we did this hike...unfortunately coming from sea level and then hiking up to 11,700 ft was very difficult for my lungs.  Didn't even make it to Emerald Lake like I did when I was 15yr old.  Today we were determined...especially since I had been living here a few months and had started back to the gym...I better be acclimated!  

So we got up at 5am and headed out to Provo Canyon--Aspen side.  It was a crowded parking lot, so a busy day.  Unfortunately, with it dark and with flashlights we didin't look up at the trail head and we were going toward stewart falls for about 20 mins...turned back and officially started the trail around 6am-ish.  It was kind of neat to see flashlights flickering up high of all those that got up way earlier to watch the sunrise up high.  But we did see spectacular colors as we were making our way up. (wasn't about to bring my big heavy SLR)



On our way up...now you know why I take pics and not be in them

These pictures don't do justice to the amazing and glorious views we had...just awesome!


We did make it past our original stopping point, and made it to Emerald Lake.  Very dry summer, so the lake was no surprise for how low it was and glaciers are almost non existent.  Shack at Emerald Lake


From Emerald Lake we took this crazy trail across a rock field and up a slippery dirt path to the saddle.  On this rock field you could see the mountain lions or goats whatever they are...they blended in so well, you almost couldn't see them without them moving.


At the top of the saddle, as you can see it was a busy day of college students and people from all walks of life.
Shanda and I got our glory picture of Happy Valley.  The fall colors on the hike were just magnificent!  Now I look up at the saddle from down below and think how I made it up that far.
Other side of the saddle we got our pic.  You can see the trail of the Timpanoke side.  The trail is another way up I have never tried.  Aspen side, in my opinion is much harder and gorgeous.

At the saddle we had a choice to make...Shanda had her flight at 5pm, and we still needed to get down.  It took 4 hours to get up and probably 3 or so hours to get down.  Although it was about another hour to the summit (700 ft more in elevation) we decided we didn't have the time.  Next time, we will make it to the surveyors shack and sign our names.  It was still amazing what we did.  Can you see that trail?...pretty crazy narrow...

on our way back down...
I liked this double tree and the trail going right between them,
took pics of the falls (too dark before)


Such a pretty views the entire day!
Got our token pic by the trail head...you can see the parking lot is still packed full.  Got back with just enough time.  It was a lot of fun having her out.  Love having family and friends visit!

No comments: