Saturday, March 8, 2014

Kitchen Trim Project

Here is my latest project.  I don't have too much time for myself ever, and I'm always planning on what I could do next (but it's rare I actually get to execute an idea, so this was huge).

We had this row of windows in our kitchen that I asked for in our building plans because the view is amazing and I don't need too many more cupboards.  Extras were adding up in our house "upgrades" so I had plans to do it myself.  Without trim these windows look simple and even sad, so I decided to bring them and the view to a grande level.
 This is my first attempt, so I know there are things I could have done better, but I'm happy with the outcome.

This is what swirls in my brain with all my ideas.  I love using my hands and designing new things.  Sadly, I don't have a 'mentor' or anyone to encourage me or bounce questions off of.  Many things never come about...but this one I was determined to make it real.  Drew up the plans and measured and double measured and triple measured...

This is how it all started...
        
Took this blank slate of three windows and wanted to make it look like ONE continuous piece framed out like a picture.

For Christmas these were my gifts.  A few months ago, my compressor was stolen out of our garage in our rental house.  I was so angry.  I knew it was a service guy who fixed the rental garage door, but nothing came about the accusations.  So for Christmas Trent found a great deal and got one along with a new saw (old one died many many years ago).  These were all I had to do my project...a table saw would have been a better tool, but some day I will own one.
          

Cutting straight lines was difficult, especially with so many long pieces I had to cut.

Hooked up the nail gun and secured all the pieces into place.  My last nail hit into the wood was close to my ear, so I turned my head to minimize the sound and...

...next thing I know, I had a nail going through my finger.  The gun must have angled when I turned, and my hand was holding the MDF in place...I was a bit shocked.  Especially when I had to pull a two inch nail out of my finger.  Luckily they are thin nails and no long term damage was made.

After things were nailed I had to do all the finishing work, like filling the nail holes and caulking the seams.


        

Finally taped and painted.  As I've learned, MDF takes at least three coats of paint to have a finished product.  Using an oil based paint it was really smelly and messy.  Not as easy to clean up as latex. 

I was so glad to peel away the tape and see the final reveal...




No comments: