Thursday, March 8, 2012

1/2 Marathon -- Round 2

I did it! I'm a crazy person, but I set out to do it, and I did it! I was on the fence because of the whole moving out of state stuff, but I have to admit, Carrie Brown, you are my hero. My sis-in-law is a machine. She didn't know this, but seeing her sign up for a race that meant challenging her world, I knew I could do it too. I'm proud of her and proud of myself for finishing something I started out to do. No regrets!



Because I enjoyed the challenge, I 'dragged' my good friend Melissa to feel the self high this experience can bring! She is truly an amazing person, and I saw all my 'first timer' concerns arise in her and I knew I could be there to help her know...she can do it! We didn't really train together or even run together on race day...only the first mile or so...but to know someone is there with you and wants to do this really makes it that much more fun! I was proud of her for sticking to her pace and blowing her goal time out of the water! I wish I could pack her in my bags and bring her with me to Utah. It was time well spent together. Love you Mel!



The course was just as I remembered it 2 yrs before...pink is the half course. But this year was a bit more...shall we say eventful?! The week before I was watching the weather and knew there were chance of severe weather for that day. Well, night before there were tornado warnings and an emergency broadcast but we stayed positive. 5am at wake up, the weather was still ominous with 71 degrees and thick rain clouds, perfect tornado weather, but we were ready! 7am at the starting line it started to rain right as the cannon went off. What a start! For the first 2 miles it rained pretty steady. Down to a drizzle we hear sirens going off...others kind of looked around and shrugged, we all just kept on going. Finally at mile 4-5 the sirens went off and it was just off and on rain from then on.

My time was a little disappointed. I think I matched my initial time from 2 yrs ago. I'm still waiting for the times to be posted. I hope I beat it even if it was by a few seconds...Because I was in so much pain this go around, the last mile I literally forced myself to run and not stop and finished strong. 2:16 is haunting me...



I really think I will do another race. I love the challenge in the training and the joy in the accomplishment.

No comments: