Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Activity Days

Things have been a little busy...in a good way.  I'm up to 3 callings in the ward, which they try to discourage, but if they asked me to give one up, I don't know which one it would be.  I'm in the RS activity board, which I love because it keeps my foot in the door with "grown ups" since my other two callings are in Primary.  I teach the 8 soon to be 9 yr olds in Primary, and love it!  Especially since those girls will be in my Activity Days class as they turn 9.  (Three Activity Day groups 8, 9 and 10-11 yr olds) Seriously, I'm having so much fun learning right along with them.  Activity Days is brand new to me, so I'm up for the challenge to learn and be creative.  For a long time I never really knew what Activity Days was or what was really going on, so I took that and decided to be more organized.  (Of course I knew what it is for, but felt in the dark)  The girls are doing reminder calls, and taking turns with the treat.  I also made up a 6-9 mo calendar, so moms and kids know what is coming up.  Love pinterest for all the blogs and ideas!
These last few week, we have been working on serving others.  The requirement is make your own idea for serving others, so my first activity (2 weeks ago) we did service checks.  They had to "write" a check for the service they were doing.  This week we did something for the nursery. we cleaned all the toys.  Germs have been extreme this winter, so I thought this would be awesome.  We started with this poster as girls came in the church building.  "What would you want someone to do for you?"  I used an article given by Thomas S. Monson about Warm Fuzzies of service.  We talked about what other kids had done for service and the poster of what they would like to be done for them.  They each had fuzzies to take home and leave behind as they did services.  Then we broke into two groups and cleaned both nursery toys (other group finished before I could get a picture of them cleaning).

My girls worked hard and did a great job.  There were a lot more toys then I imagined, so they were awesome to accomplish all they did in a short amount of time.
Finally, to finish out the activity, we did "All About Me" bags.  They brought things from home about them and shared with the group.  Some are less active and really... this was for me to know them better.  Noelle brought amazing chocolate chip cookies in the treat basket to share...I thought it went really well.

No comments: