Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Nature's Ice Creations

This morning I heard the garbage man come and go...when I left to take Ammon to his play school, I noticed a lot of white garbage off to the side of the road. Of course, I think of the garbage man being careless. Later in the day I noticed more in the treeline in our backyard. I was curious what could have made such a mess so I go to look at it.


Turns out it wasn't garbage at all! Very peculiar ice had formed at the base of dried out plants. I'm still not sure how this happened, because it is only in a few select areas. So moved by this random creation, I decided to put my extreme coldness aside and photograph these beautiful spectacles of nature. Now if only the sun had come out for a few minutes during these pictures to help contour the details on these ice pieces...




The ice was so light and and broke off so easily, I still wasn't convinced it was ice. It seemed like a very thin styrofoam. Finally, I crumbled it and it could smash into a miniature snowball.












2 comments:

Troy & Kristin said...

That is so weird! huh, wonder what it is...great pics though!

DeAnn said...

Wow--those are amazing!