Monday, January 20, 2014

Frozen...Lake That Is

Every now and then we'd see specs of people out on the lake.  It was all white and surely had to be frozen over.  So instead of speculating, I decided to just check it out.  I was weary at first, but once I saw how solid the lake was, it wasn't a big deal.
I wanted to go really far out, but Trent was still worried about safety.  Of course you hear how every year someone falls in, but I think that is when it's thawing and people just aren't sure...Lately it's barely gotten about 32 degrees, so I wasn't too worried.  The kids loved it.

Once you swipe away the top inches of crunchy snow, you can see the ice.  You do see cracks now and then from the shifting pressures of movement. In these cracks, you can actually see (not in this pictures) the thickness of the ice.  It must be easily 6 inches or more thick!  It was really interesting.

 On the edges of the lake the ice was more exposed and the kids liked "ice skating" around.  Now our wonders were put to rest, the lake is frozen over and you can go out on it.  There was a group far off doing ice fishing, that would have been fun to see...

No comments: